Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sunset Post-Op, Part 2

Comparison To 2004
I can't remember why I jumped into NaNo in 2004. I'm something of an addict to writing - but I usually let coding cobble most of that urge. I had an idea for a story and NaNo seemed to flush it out.

Greenscape was straight lit fic and Sunset was sci fi. Greenscape worked out pretty linear and in the end - is actually a fairly complete story. Sunset ended in a complete disorganized mess with about three different concepts all mashed in together, whole sections in duplicate to suit changes, etc.

Both, however, need complete rewrites for the most part. The difference is, I think, that Greenscape was a story about characters. Sunset Winterland is about premise and plot. Greenscape could meander about and make up the landscape as it went along. It didn't matter in Greenscape what a gas station was made out of or how it operated. With Sunset - all of those details added up to be part of the story.

So when I change a big sphere to be a giant alien girl ... everything gets jostled around. Sunset was more of a knotted rope - pull on one end and everything shakes.



technorati | nanowrimo

No comments: